Survivor Guide to Develop on Windows¶
Guide written for Linux developers.
- Python Packaging which contains specific information for Python on Windows.
- Compile CPython on Windows
- Kill a blocked command (harder than CTRL+c): CTRL + Scroll Lock key. (send a
Note: On my Lenovo T430 laptop, I have to use the “Fn” key:
- Fn + B: Break
- Fn + P: Pause
- Fn + S: SysRq
cmd.exe (Windows “shell”, Windows console, the MS-DOS black window)¶
- Redirect stdout and stderr into the file
command >output.log 2>&1
|Windows command||UNIX command||Comment|
||Display all environment variables|
||Display the content of
||Display the value of the
||Remove a directory and its content|
||Redirect command stdout into a new
||Redirect command stdout and stderr into a new
||Ignore command stdout (redirect it to null)|
Configure vim on Windows¶
- Right click on gvim: Run as administrator
- Open /program files (x86)/vim/_vimrc
- Comment the lines
- Add custom config
Mount Windows directory on Linux¶
Command to mount the Widows “test” directory locally to
files will be owned by the user
sudo mount.cifs '//192.168.0.14/test' ~/mnt -o 'user=USERNAME,pass=PASSWORD,uid=haypo,gid=haypo'
- Professional: enough to build Python
Configure a shell to use the VS C compiler in 64-bit mode:
x86: compile in 32-bit mode
amd64: compile in 64-bit mode
x86_amd64: cross-compile to 64-bit mode on a 32-bit system
Git configuration file¶
C:\Users\haypo\.gitconfig. Run cmd.exe as administrator to be
allowed to create symbolic links.
Windows console, cmd.exe¶
Right click on the title, Properties: set Buffer Size of Command History to 999 (default: 50).
To develop on CPython: get a “multi-version” of Windows 10 (no N, KN or VL variant) and use a “Pro - Retail” product key. Create of a VM with 40 GB of disk.
- Family: basic feature set
- Pro: more features
- Entreprise: even more features
- “N”: Not with Media Player; for Europe.
- “KN”: specially designed for Korean market and does not include Windows Media Player (WMP) and an instant messenger.
- “VL”: Volume License, a single license key can be used to activate multiple installations of Windows 10. This is usually used by large enterprises.
- “S”: “Windows 10 S can only run apps from the Windows Store”. Windows 10 S is designed to run well even on lower-end laptops. Windows 10 S is focused on speed, better battery life, and higher performance.