Survivor Guide to Develop on Windows¶
Guide written for Linux developers.
- Kill a blocked command (harder than CTRL+c): CTRL + Scroll Lock key. (send a
Note: On my Lenovo T430 laptop, I have to use the “Fn” key:
- Fn + B: Break
- Fn + P: Pause
- Fn + S: SysRq
Alternative terminals for Windows:
cmd.exe (Windows “shell”, Windows console, the MS-DOS black window)¶
- Change prompt:
- Redirect stdout and stderr into the file
command >output.log 2>&1
|Windows command||UNIX command||Comment|
||Display all environment variables|
||Display the content of
||Display the value of the
||Remove a directory and its content|
||Redirect command stdout into a new
||Redirect command stdout and stderr into a new
||Ignore command stdout (redirect it to null)|
||Display the exit code of the previous command|
Configure vim on Windows¶
- Right click on gvim: Run as administrator
- Open /program files (x86)/vim/_vimrc
- Comment the lines
- Add custom config
Mount Windows directory on Linux¶
Command to mount the Widows “test” directory locally to
files will be owned by the user
sudo mount.cifs '//192.168.0.14/test' ~/mnt -o 'user=USERNAME,pass=PASSWORD,uid=haypo,gid=haypo'
- Professional: enough to build Python
Configure a shell to use the VS C compiler in 64-bit mode:
x86: compile in 32-bit mode
amd64: compile in 64-bit mode
x86_amd64: cross-compile to 64-bit mode on a 32-bit system
Git configuration file¶
C:\Users\haypo\.gitconfig. Run cmd.exe as administrator to be
allowed to create symbolic links.
Windows console, cmd.exe¶
Right click on the title, Properties: set Buffer Size of Command History to 999 (default: 50).
To develop on CPython: get a “multi-version” of Windows 10 (no N, KN or VL variant) and use a “Pro - Retail” product key. Create of a VM with 40 GB of disk.
- Family: basic feature set
- Pro: more features
- Entreprise: even more features
- “N”: Not with Media Player; for Europe.
- “KN”: specially designed for Korean market and does not include Windows Media Player (WMP) and an instant messenger.
- “VL”: Volume License, a single license key can be used to activate multiple installations of Windows 10. This is usually used by large enterprises.
- “S”: “Windows 10 S can only run apps from the Windows Store”. Windows 10 S is designed to run well even on lower-end laptops. Windows 10 S is focused on speed, better battery life, and higher performance.
Some Windows error codes¶
- Exception Code:
-1073741819): “access violation”, EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.
- 996: ERROR_IO_INCOMPLETE: Overlapped I/O event is not in a signaled state.
To use the OpenSSH server from Microsoft (the “Optional feature”), you need at least Windows 10 build 1803. Before, this flavor was unusable.
Go to settings, search for “Manage Optional Features”: enable OpenSSH
In my case, I had to run
The SSH private key is stored in
%ProgramData%\ssh\ssh_host_ed25519_key. This file must be owned by SYSTEM and the only permission must be that SYSTEM is allowed to Read this file.
To allow incoming TCP connections to port 22 (SSH), run PowerShell as administrator and type:
New-NetFirewallRule -Name sshd -DisplayName 'OpenSSH SSH Server' -Enabled True -Direction Inbound -Protocol TCP -Action Allow -LocalPort 22
Copy your SSH public key into
C:\Users\vstinner\.ssh\authorized_keys(replace vstinner with your username!)
Go to Windows Menu>search for “Services”. In Services, search for “OpenSSH Server”: click on Start.
If OpenSSH server doesn’t work, look into
If the server works, you can change the Service start from Manual to Automatic.
To debug, you can install psexec, open a shell as SYSTEM with
psexec -i -s -d cmd.exe and then type:
C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\sshd.exe to run the SSH server in foreground.
Files and directories:
C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH\sshd.exe: the SSH server program
C:\ProgramData\ssh\ssh_host_ed25519_key: SSH server private key
C:\ProgramData\ssh\sshd_config: SSH server configuration file
C:\ProgramData\ssh\Logs\sshd.log: SSH server logs
- Get system load::
wmic cpu get loadpercentage